Built between 1150 and 1170 by William Bertram, Mitford castle was one of Northumberland's largest fortifications at the time. The castle was "knocked about a bit" by King John in 1216 and besieged by the Scots the following year; it was abandoned in the late 14th century and has suffered badly over the centuries from looting of stones for building.
St. Mary Magdalene Church dates from about 1135 and is possibly on the site of an earlier, simpler Saxon church. King John's troops burned the church down in 1216 in revenge for Roger Bertram having been one of the barons who forced the King to sign Magna Carta the year before.
It was again burned in 1705 when the heating stove caught fire and the roof was destroyed and the church reduced to a ruinous state. In 1874 a great restoration took place, adding a tower and steeple and was completed in 1885.
The squire at the time, Col. J.P.O. Mitford, undertook the work at his own expense. Inside are splendid, massive Norman pillars and an interesting effigy to Bertram Revely.